Tuesday, June 7, 2011

L'Histoire

Marie Antoinette




"I have seen all, I have heard all, I have forgotten all."


Ignore the movies and read Queen of Fashion by Caroline Weber to understand the true story of Marie Antoinette.  Born with pressure to unite France and Austria, Marie Antoinette was not the most loved Queen in history.  However, she did win over the hearts of the French during her earlier years as Delphine.  She used fashion and her porcelain beauty to win over the citizens and created new trends during her life in Versailles such was wearing men's riding habits, the plouf, and less restricted garments such as the chemisette in her Petit Trianon.





After visiting Versaille earlier this year, I felt tremendously inspired and giddy after visiting Marie Antoinette's chambers.  Ostrich plumes, crystal chandeliers, gilded trimmings, and hand embroidered fabrics tickled my fancy.  Maybe Sophia Coppola felt the same way after visting the palace.

Here are a few pictures taken during my trip -









No comments:

Post a Comment